Monday, 02 April 2007

Inside my Head

A song that I wrote triggered a email debate, no debate’s to strong a word, an email conversation between a myself and a friend. She’d listened to it on our bands myspace, the general conversation was about tolerance, and I ended up having a conversation in my head about it afterwards.
I think tolerance is vital in this day and age, we have to be able to tolerate all people and cultures if we are to have anyway of working together in this world.
Be careful however interpreting what I’m talking about when I say tolerance, and this was her main point in the conversation. Tolerance should never be at such a point where it takes our voices away, we should still be able to speak and act our beliefs, and to say when we don’t agree with something, and applaud something we do.
Strangely the songs not really about tolerance though it does have that underlying message, it’s actually called "Stand up" and that’s more what it’s about, standing up and taking your place in the world. Standing up and making a difference in the world, not to be bowed by what society feels is right or the friends and family around you may feel. You have to be and do what you know and feel are right, what calls out from the heart of you, just because people might look at you strangely for stopping to help someone who’s down and out on the street doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. There’s a lot of other reasons that generally stop you from doing that, especially crime, but other peoples perceptions are definitely one of the reasons you wouldn’t.
Anyway that’s what’s been running through my mind, and thanks to my friend for making me think of it.
I've linked this post to our myspace if you want to go and have a listen.

3 comments:

noodle said...

Think, think, think until you're all thunked out…

Sara said...

glad it made you think ;o) It was quite an email conversation.

liam said...

Thanks Sara.