Tuesday, 10 April 2007

The Long Wet Weekend!


I’ve lost my voice, I have a sore throat, I got wet and muddy over the weekend, but as I sit hear I realize haven’t felt as relaxed and centered as this in a long time.
Yes Splashy Fen promised to be the long weekend I was hoping it to be, I wasn’t expecting it to be so wet and muddy but people slipping and slopping around in the mud can be very entertaining even when it’s you.
I think the biggest thing you need to leave behind when going to Splashy (it even indicates in the name that it’s not likely you’ll remain dry) is your vanity and reservations, take everything for what it is and you won’t be disappointed.
What did I love so much about Splashy outside the Music, the general populace that attended it (there where and always will be the unaccountable few, who you’d rather not get along with even if you do pride yourself on tolerance), meeting and chatting to random strangers, wandering around with no specific destination but waiting to see what entertainment may pop up, reconnecting with friends, taking a dip in a cold berg river and letting the few minutes of morning sunshine warm your skin.

My brother and I after he’d finished his test that afternoon, chucked our gear into our faithful old corolla and headed for the hills of Underberg, and happily we’d managed to find our camping friends and pitch our tents before the first of the rains set in. On those first two evenings we managed to watch very little music but did a fair amount of wandering, with the live music blaring out of the music tents. You can’t say you’ve experienced Splashy without a good wander around the festival shouting out greetings to the random people you’ve met.
We did watch our share though, and I really enjoyed the quality of music that was on show, the night that stood out for me was the last night and overall the quality of bands playing that evening.

Bands that stood out for me this splashy were;

Tony Cox (guitaring Genius)
Rory Eliot (Easy on the Ears)
Undone (In their own genre)
Chris Chameleon (Different but amazing)
Lark (Something weird something beautiful - my brothers favourite this weekend)
New Academics (Footstompingly Funky)
Harris Tweed (Beautiful Lyrics, and beautiful voice, probably my favourite this weekend)
and The Parlotones (showing their experience and ability t o write great songs)

As much as I enjoyed the weekend and as much fun as it was it was great to spend last night asleep in my bed and mud free!

8 comments:

Dean said...

I can hear the familiar 'hey you guys!'as you drive out ;-)
Yeah, its a pity to miss another, will have to make up for it big time. Got wasted today on a private beach, not as good though as sitting around the campfire with forest and jukkels.

liam said...

Ja we'll have to make sure there's another splashy with forest, jukkels and lardass. We were the party!

Anonymous said...

Hey ther fello splashy-fenner... Indeed,it was a good wknd.I really feel i can just b myself ther.Leavin all my worries in lil' ol' pmb & just chilling! Rory Eliot was definately 1 of my hi-lites. And of course Lark:-)

liam said...

Unfortunately I didn't get to see much of Rory Eliot, I think I only got to see his last two songs, pitty.
Lark was good.

Anonymous said...

Do u kno his song "Faith grew Tall"? Its #1 on the hi 5 @5. Very cool.Super-inspiring & positiv and all those good things!

liam said...

It kinda rings a bell, but I can't get the tune into my head... very cool title though

Anonymous said...

My bad...terrible mistake but i claim its due 2 lack of sleep and stats-boggled mind... Its "When Grace Grew Tall" -> That should sound more familiar:-)

liam said...

Ahh... still can't get the tune in my head, maybe see if I can find his site with a sound track... ah but no, the sound on my computer is not working again.
Still a cool title!